Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ever decreasing circles.

I have resurrected my old buggy from several years ago, removed the OOPIC boards from it and temporarily fitted the Mega 2560 Arduino board complete with breadboard in order to evaluate the two servo motors and my sketch writing for future use. The idea is to run this buggy on servos and the other one on motors and try to work out which is the better for my project. The servos may be more powerful than the motors but they are also more expensive as well. On the other hand, the servos will work directly from the data pins and the motors will need a controller board as well. Plus, of course, the servos will be reporting their position back all the time and the motors won't. All of these factors will have a bearing on which system is chosen. My current roadmap is to build one two wheel trundle to the chosen method and gradually work up to a system using two of them on either end of a long-ish beam. The trundles will steer by way of their two wheels and the front and rear sets will both be autonomous  in some ways. Parallel to this, I will be developing a remote control system using Bluetooth in order to run the non autonomous stuff. Currently though, my buggy is running around in circles as I have not yet got my sketch correct for the servos and they are both running anti-clockwise. As one faces east and the other faces west, you can probably see where there might be a problem.
Arduino Mega 2560
Image by Snootlab via Flickr
Servomotor (Servomechanism)
Image via Wikipedia
Diagram of a Solderless Prototyping Board (Bre...
Image via Wikipedia



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here. We check most days and all suitable comments will be published.

Kardoma:

fills the stage with flags!
Free counters!