Friday, January 11, 2013

Trundle reborn?

I have put another supplier on the left, Bableduck Cybernetics. They are a UK based company who have a very nice line in robotic components. My Trundle project requires somewhat larger wheels than is usual for a small robot and I have had a lot of difficulty sourcing them. Then, suddenly, two sources come along at once. The Bableduck ones are much cheaper and will probably work better indoors and the ones I found at Sparkfun Electronics are American based, more than twice the price and far more suited to the outdoor life. Horses for courses, I have a pair of the Bableduck ones to check out. I am also in the throes of ordering the acrylic tubing for the body of the 'bot as I now have a way of cutting them myself. I have cut the smaller tubes with a small disc cutter but it has to go so fast in order to cut that it melts the swarf and that then sticks to the tube and is very difficult to remove. The best method of cutting plastic is with a slow, sharp band saw and I now have access to one. The basic plastic will cost about £60.00 but, cut correctly, will make at least five Trundle chassis so will be worth the outlay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here. We check most days and all suitable comments will be published.

Kardoma:

fills the stage with flags!
Free counters!